16 September 2005

Aquellos hombres....



Finn: I did it! I did it! I am a wild success! I sold 'em all, all my paintings. You don't have to be embarrassed by me anymore, I'm rich! Isn't that what you wanted, aren't we happy now. Don't you understand, that everything I do, I do it for you. Anything, that might be special in me, is you.











********************************************
Calaf, a foreign prince in disguise, is struck by Turandot's beauty and resolves to win her, despite the pleas of his blind father Timur, who has fled his native country and come to Peking in disguise. He is attended by the slave girl Liu, who has loved Calaf from afar. She begs Calaf not to attempt the riddles. Three ministers, Ping, Pang and Pong also try to dissuade Calaf, but he is inflamed by Turandot, and he strikes the gong three times, declaring his candidacy.

Turandot appears, more beautiful than ever. She explains that years ago an ancestor of hers was ravished by an invader; in revenge, she has sworn that no man will have her unless he solves the riddles. To the dismay of Turandot, and the delight of the crowd, Calaf answers the three riddles correctly. Turandot begs her father the emperor to release her from this stranger, but he refuses. Calaf then offers to die if Turandot can guess his name by the next morning. That night, Turandot sends her troops throughout Peking to discover Calaf's name. She finds Liu and tortures her, but Liu kills herself and his secret dies with her. Calaf sings "Nessun Dorma" - No One Sleeps; Turandot will not guess his name - by dawn he will be victorious.

It is morning. Turandot and Calaf confront each other. Despite Turandot's pleas, Calaf declares his love, and forces a kiss on her. Turandot melts, and Calaf reveals his name. Turandot summons her court and declares she has learned the stranger's name - it is "Love." The nation rejoices.

No comments:

Post a Comment