21 January 2009

"We will not apologize for our way of life"

I shared yesterday a bit of history in this country as I watched how the first Afro-American president swore and became president. His speech, finally free from all the mistakes the other one used to make, was very touching and as my friend said, positive and encouraging. Even I liked it until I heard: "We will not apologize for our way of life.."

So if there is the will and the idea that there is a global problem regarding the environment...how can the consumers life style of USA matches this goal of working for our environment?. Later Obama mention that they will harvest the sun, wind and the soil to provide fuel for their cars. Is that really the solution? Why not build more and efficient public transportation? What is so wrong about sharing a bus or a metro?.

And later ... the super hero role USA thinks they have on world policy came up again: " and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace". The challenge is to see how they will handle now things in Gaza strip, or if they will keep blaming Iran of nuclear weapons...and hopefully in this new term, we won't witness a new war.

I remember the day one of our (what we taught) good thinkers in Bolivia had to be in charge of the government. I remember how exited I was with his words ... "I'm here to serve, not to be served". Less than one year, that president was kicked out for doing exactly what others do, cheat and lie.

People is expecting a lot from this new administration here, just the same way I expected to see less corruption in the former government in Bolivia. I wish best luck, for my expectations with a sign of change have vanished away. It takes more than just good intentions to lead a country. Sadly, in Bolivia we have the old thieves hocked in this government and manipulating this president in a very ridiculous way.

The more I learn about politicians...the sicker I get. Better days to our earth and to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment